Questions you should ask your Marriage Officer
When meeting your potential Marriage Officer (or Officiant) for the first time you will feel like there are a lot questions you should be asking. The ceremony is an important part of the day but it is actually least complicated so there are probably not as many questions to ask as you think.
However, from my experience these are the questions you should ask:
- Is she properly registered with Home Affairs as a Marriage Officer and can you have a copy of their designation letter?
- Is he or she willing to collaborate on the content of the ceremony?
- What will he wear on the day?
- What time will she arrive on the day?
- How long is the ceremony and can you determine its length?
- Will he or she include or exclude religious content according to your wishes?
- What is her view of a rehearsal?
- What is the plan should he get ill on the day?
- When will she submit all documentation to Home Affairs (this should be done within 3 days of your wedding)?
- What experience does he have i.e. how many weddings has he done as does he have testimonials of past weddings?
In the process of asking these questions you will get a very good sense of whether or nor he or she is a good fit for you. Remember, it is your wedding and you should have broad say (with guidance and advice from the Marriage Officer) on what happens with your ceremony on the day. Your Marriage Officer is a supplier but unlike every other supplier their service is intimate so above all you should feel really comfortable with this person standing in front of everyone talking about you and your marriage.
Finding a Marriage Officer in Johannesburg can be a little intimidating. Firstly, you’re in the position of finding someone you don’t know to perform something personal. Secondly, there are so many options. No worries, we’re...
Do We Have To Get Married Under A Roof? As marriage officers, we are frequently asked a few questions, one of which you may find strange: "Do We Have To Get Married Under A Roof?" No, is the short answer. Of course, that is not the complete answer. Some marriage...
What Is The Fastest Way To Get Married in South Africa? The fastest way to get married in South Africa is to find a Marriage Officer, make an appointment and let them take care of the rest. A Marriage Officer can come to your home or venue or you may go to the...