Can you get married without a Marriage Officer?

by Apr 29, 2019

Like all good answers, yes and no. 

In order to be legally married and registered as such with Home Affairs you need to have a Marriage Officer involved. 

However, when it comes to your wedding ceremony you do not require a Marriage Officer. You could have a friend, family member or anyone perform your ceremony and have a Marriage Officer simply take care of the legalities. You can do this either on the day after your ceremony or sometime before (or even after) the ceremony. 

So you want to elope

So you want to elope

Elope is defined as "run away secretly in order to get married." In years passed this had a bit of a negative connotation - the idea that star crossed lovers, who were forbidden from being married for reasons of religion, culture or status, would run away and get...

Get in touch!

Ask us anything or get more information by filling in the form. We're pretty quick!

You're welcome to Whatsapp us right now on 082 960 0933.