What Is The Difference Between Officiant & Marriage Officer?

by Apr 16, 2022

What is the difference between Officiant & Marriage Officer?

“Marriage Officer” is not a very sexy title. Some instead use the word “Officiant”. So in some cases they are the same thing but not always.

It is also a word that has less religious so for people who perform non-religious ceremonies this is a better word than “minister”.

Countries like Australia and New Zealand most commonly use this word as the official word but it is possible that a person may not be officially registered or designated by Home Affairs but does weddings ceremonies. This person would be called an Officiant.

The term has not gained a lot of popularity in South Africa but it is used from time to time. If you are engaging with someone who calls themselves an Officiant make sure they are also a registered Marriage Officer so that your marriage is recognised and legal on the day!

Get in touch!

Ask us anything or get more information by filling in the form. We're pretty quick!

You're welcome to Whatsapp us right now on 082 960 0933.