Marriage Officer in Pretoria

Finding a Marriage Officer in Pretoria can be a little intimidating. Firstly, you’re in the position of finding someone you don’t know to perform something personal. Secondly, there are so many options.

No worries, we’re here to help. In this post, we will explain the different processes and how to find someone who is right for you.

We hope this guide helps make your search easier!

View our other blogs and find more information about getting married here.

What is the Marriage Process in Pretoria South Africa?

In South Africa, the marriage process is called a ‘marriage registration’. This is done by a Marriage Officer duly appointed by Home Affairs for this purpose. The Marriage Officer will get the required documents from you (ID copies, ID photos, and Divorce decree as applicable). Once you have signed the register you will be issued with a marriage certificate.

The marriage officer will go to Home Affairs and submit the marriage registration documentation and ensure your marriage is registered on their system.

How to Find Marriage Officers in Pretoria

If you have any questions about the marriage process or if you just want to find a Marriage Officer, our team can help! Our staff can provide you with helpful information about getting married in South Africa, as well as answer any questions you may have about the marriage registration or wedding process. We’re here to help make your wedding day as easy and stress-free as possible!

You can have a look at our team of marriage officers here.

Marriage in Pretoria South Africa.

To get married in Pretoria South Africa, you will need:

  • A South African ID or Passport if you’re not a South African Citizen for both partners.
  • ID or passport copy for each witness (2 witnesses required)
  • 2 x colour ID photos for each partner
  • If previously married a Divorce Decree or Death Certificate
  • If non-South African, a “Letter of Non-Impediment” from your home country or consulate which confirms you are not married in your country of citizenship.

What is the Marriage Certificate

The marriage certificate is a document that confirms your relationship and declares your marriage has been solemnised by a Marriage Officer. It is typically issued by the local Home Affairs office and can be obtained for a fee.

There are 3 versions of the marriage certificate:

Manual Certificate: This is a valid, hand-written certificate issued by the Marriage Officer.

Abridged: A certificate printed and issued by Home Affairs.

Unabridged: Also issued by Home Affairs. This certificate has more information and is signed and stamped. It is the most official version of a marriage certificate and this is generally required when dealing with any foreign government agency i.e. a foreign passport or immigration.